Friday, January 15, 2010

Welcome!

I thought I’d try blogging as an experiment. I have a LiveJournal that I don’t really use anymore and I think it’s because I don’t like the format as much. Plus, I wanted to get a chance to start from scratch and that works here.

So, a little about me and the title:

Science – I’m in the fourth year of my PhD program in Integrative Life Sciences. I’m focusing on genetics and statistics and studying gene expression in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. I work closely with MDs and, hopefully, my research will be applied to treating patients one day. I love the idea that one day my work may help patients. It’s definitely what I’d like to keep focusing on for my career.

Training – I train for both triathlons and marathons. I did my first triathlon in October 2005 and have done many Sprint and Olympic distance races since then. One day, I’d love to try a Half-Ironman (HIM or 70.3) or Ironman (IM or 140.6) distance race, but I’m not in any hurry. I completed my first marathon in 2008 and have plans to do one or two this year. I had to defer enrollment in the Marine Corps Marathon last year because of gallbladder surgery, so I am definitely looking forward to it this year!!

Knitting – In all of my extra free time (ha!), I enjoy knitting. I started about two years ago and find it really relaxing. Plus, it makes me feel less lazy if I knit while I watch TV at night. I love to knit socks, although I’m not great at actually finishing a pair. The first is easy; the second is always hard to start. My goal for this year is to knit six pairs of socks total. We’ll see how I do!

Oh my! I think this is self-explanatory. How can I get everything done and not go crazy? We’ll see if that happens!!

No comments:

Post a Comment